Advantages of Buying vs. Starting a Business
Fact: 80% of new businesses fail in the first 3 years!
Fact: Most established businesses continue to be successful!
If you are motivated by personal accomplishment, stimulated by challenge, and want to be your own boss, then business ownership is for you.
However, let someone else take the risk and high cost of starting from scratch.
Buying an established business provides you with two of the three necessary components of success – a proven location (or customer base) and the right product. You provide the third ingredient – management.
The following are some of the likely advantages of buying an established business versus starting a new one:
- The market cannot support another competitor.
- Can get your new business up and running quickly?
- A successful business may stay successful while you get up to speed.
- Your new business may already have the equipment and assets you want.
- Set-up and installation costs are cheaper or non-existent.
- The old clientele may well be your new clientele.
- Get the “best” location or acquire a favorable lease.
- Expenses and revenues are known.
- Easier to get licenses and permits.
- Easier to get loans and other financing.
- Intangibles: Goodwill/Brand Name.
- Supplier relationships are established.
- Trade credit may be established.
- Inventory is in place.
- Get key employees on your team.
- Get trained experienced employees and staff.
- Prevent competitor from entering the area.
- Little competitive backlash or reaction.
- May be able to use the experience and advice of the previous owner.